The weeks leading up to the wedding were stressful, but not as stressful as they could have been. Jake left for AT (annual training) for the National Guard two weeks before our wedding, and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out I would be able to see him most nights. I tried to plan as far ahead as possible in order to prepare to go through the temple and focus more on the sealing and less on the reception. I'm so glad I did! Receiving my endowment was absolutely wonderful, and I know I wouldn't have had the great experience I did unless I had adequately prepared myself for it. I cried as Jake took me through the veil and as we walked into the Celestial Room. I was amazed and deeply touched by the support and love given to me by those who came and wished they could come. Jake and I had the opportunity to go through the Logan Temple a few days before our wedding. It was a great refresher and a beautiful temple.
June 30th dawned bright and clear (I was very grateful for that because our reception was outdoors), and I woke up at 5:45am because I couldn't sleep anymore. It was like Christmas! I drove over to the brunch in Lehi by Jake's parent's house and saw the beautiful table decorations Diana had made. She put so much hard work into making the brunch perfect. Before the brunch started, I went over to see Jake and discovered he was quite nervous and was running around trying to find an appropriate tie to wear with his brown suit we bought him. (Apparently boys aren't very good at matching colors. :-) This caused me some concern because I didn't want my husband-to-be getting cold feet. Luckily it was just because he HATES being the center of attention. I told him he should have considered that before he proposed. ;-) The brunch was great and Dennis and my dad said a few words about how much they appreciated the newest addition to their families. Jake gave an account of our dating and engagement story, with some interjections from me when appropriate, and we left for the Mt. Timpanogos Temple.
It felt like a dream. My mom and I were ushered into the bride's room where she helped me put on my temple clothes. This was such a special moment for me to share with my mother. After I was ready, the temple lady had me wait for Jake behind a wall. She wanted me to make a grand entrance. I really liked her. Jake wasn't even paying attention. We were escorted to the Celestial Room and were allowed to sit and wait there together. I think that is one of the best things they let us do. While we were sitting there, I had the most powerful feelings of love and peace fill my heart, and I knew without a doubt Jake and I were supposed to get married and we would be so happy if we always put each other first. My heart almost thumped out of my chest when the temple lady came back in and told us they were ready. My grandpa Griffiths met us outside the sealing room and took us aside so we could talk. He went over some things about the ceremony and asked if we had any questions. I started to cry when he said this was legal both in Heaven and on Earth and we would be married for time and all eternity when we walked out of that room. I was ready.
My heart was beating so fast when we walked into the sealing room and I saw Jake
and my family and friends there supporting us. I just couldn't believe how much support and love we had from those around us. My grandpa gave some excellent counsel about being fiercely true and loyal to each other, and then Jake brought me to the altar. I couldn't help but cry again when my grandpa sealed us together forever. We exchanged rings and our family and friends were allowed to come and congratulate us, and just like that it was over. I was a married woman.
My mom helped me get dressed into my wedding dress in the bride's room, and then Jake and I made our grand entrance out the side doors as husband and wife. We took pictures and everyone left to relax before the reception. Jake and I went back to his parent's house and Jake and his dad thought of a plan on how to hide our car from those who would do it harm. I stayed out of it because it was totally a man thing. Jake and I got to our reception about 5:00pm and took more pictures and helped set up last minute things. I looked around at my reception in awe. It was beautiful! As a little girl I always dreamed of a fairy tale wedding, and here it was! My happily ever after had finally happened. We had so many friends come through our line, and then it was time to cut the cake. The cake even tasted good! I have always wanted a dance at my reception, and we started it off with Jake and my first dance. My dad and I had prepared a special daddy daughter dance to show off our personalities, and I was so glad it was such a hit! My mom told me later that people from our ward were still laughing about it on Sunday. My dad just beamed.
The time approached for us to make our grand exit, and there was a horse and carriage waiting for us as we ran through the center of family and friends holding sparklers and yelling their congratulations at us. The carriage drove around for awhile, and then dropped us off at our car. Jake's brothers and sisters were sweet and gave us a nights stay at the Hines Mansion in Provo. We left for Jackson Hole the next day and enjoyed the tram, waffles, hiking, horseback riding, and the Bar J Wranglers dinner and a show. On our way home, we stopped in Rexburg to visit with Rachel and Matt and spent the 4th of July lighting fireworks with their cute little family. We attended church with them the following day and drove back to Logan that night. It was so much fun to go on our Honeymoon, but I'm glad we're back and can start our life together. I love Jake so much and being married is great!
Our night at Hines Mansion. Jake, my little cowboy.
Horseback riding!

The ride up the mountain on the Tram and eating waffles!

The view from our hike.
1 comment:
That's cool, Mel and I stayed at the Hines Mansion on our honeymoon too! In fact, my bike got a flat tire right in front of it on our first date. :)
Post a Comment